Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

  I can never ignore my passion or as some say "Obsession" of the art of bonsai. This is, after all, what got me into the creative side of the nursery business and horticulture. Bonsai lead me to the desire to try my hand a grafting what I wanted to work with and what would grow successfully here in Florida. Yes, I started with the Procumbens "nana" juniper. At 14, in my eyes, it was a masterpiece but in all honestly it was more like a shrub that fought with a string trimmer.

   Needless to say I was hooked! I sought nursery stock, landscape plants that looked knurled and aged and taking cuttings, air layering and other methods of parent plants that showed good mature form. At that point I decided on grafting conifers and maples. To my surprise, my first batch of grafts yielded almost 70% strike ratio! Again, Hooked!!!!
 
   Since then I have experimented with many varieties of almost every woody ornamental you could imagine. I keep on hand for the most part starter material and some starter/pre bonsai. I do have a fair amount of specimen trees. I display those on request only. 90% are field grown and cut every year and root pruned every two years.

  I carry basic tools and pottery (out until 6/21/2013) such as shears, concave cutters, knob cutters, root rakes (good effective ones that aid in transplanting), wire from 1.0mm - 6.0mm. 100gram, 500 gram a 1 kilo. Larger diameters I sell by the foot in 1,2,5 and 10 ft. lengths. Rarely do most need a kilo sized roll of 6.0mm wire but I do offer it. I carry quality carbon steel tools. If you desire stainless steel "master kits" I can special order at a great price but in over 20+ years, my tools have held up fine.

  Pottery is generally basic glazed and unglazed. I do carry Tokoname and Yixing. Depending on the tree, the right pot can make it a masterpiece! For training I carry some terracotta and plastic pots. Mica pottery is often an over looked gem in pottery. It is tough avoiding chipping, cracking, holds consistent temperatures to hold moisture and control temperatures in hot and cold weather. As for price? Mica pottery is sometimes less than half the price of large pottery and lighter in weight to boot!

  In my next post, I will have a listing of many of the varieties of starters, pre bonsai and others that I keep in stock. Stay tuned for the updates and events that are coming this summer and fall! Until then, enjoy life for all it offers!

RMNB

No comments:

Post a Comment