Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013


Grafting can often be a double edged sword. This has held especially true for my endeavor to bring some of my favorite Japanese maples and conifers to the south east namely zone 9. I have been rewarded with several being in the boarder of zone 9b/10a. Others, well, let’s just say should have remained in 7. With all local rootstock and time tested parent plants for scion wood, much more than I had ever envisioned has come to fruition. 50 + varieties of Japanese maple and conifer alongside other plants I have worked with have made the transition.

   Some would shrug and ask why bother. I have to admit, I have ask myself the same some late nights. More cuts on my thumbs from the knife drawl than there are bandages (glad I am ambidextrous or I’d only be half way there) for. The alcohol for sterilizing the rootstock adds a bit of “wow, I’m awake factor” to it all. In the end is the wait to see what takes and then survives after a few seasons. The additions below are being worked in for fall 2013 (late August to early September) and spring 2014. Basically, for north east Florida (Jacksonville) and south east Georgia your choices for the unique just got a whole lot better. Some listed below are familiar to those who know me. Others will be a welcomed addition. There are some that aren’t listed that are limited production for bonsai, dwarf or collectors. They are available to all though most aren’t the average landscaper. Some maples and pines grow less than an inch a year. Like watching paint dry to some and a marvel of wonder to others.

 

So, here are some of what are rolling out for 2013/2014:

Abigail Rose, Asahi Niski, Beni Kawa, Beni Komanchi, Beni O Take, Beni ShiShiHenge, Bloodgood, Bon Fire, Boskoop Glory,  Butterfly, Crimson Queen, Emperor 1, Ever Red, Fire Glow, Garnet, Green Cascade, Hefner’s Red, Hogyoku, Inaba Shidare, Koto Ito Komachi, Koto No Ito, Lionheart,  Moonfire, Nuresagi, O Kagami, Omureyama, Orange Dream, Orangeola, Oridono Nishiki, Osakazuki, Peaches & Cream, Purple Ghost,  Red Dragon, Red Emporer, Garnet, Scofolium, Seiryu, Shaina, Sumi Nagashi, Shojo Nomura, Sparkling Burgundy, Trompenberg, Tamuke Yama, Tsukasa Silhouette, Virdis, Waterfall and Yubae.

 

  There are , as mentioned, not all listed, like Sharps Pygmy, Shin Deshojo, Sango Kaku, Winter Flame, Bihou and more. I will also have on hand Basic red and green leaf Japanese maples in 1 to 5 gal. Also from the list will be some 15-45 gal as well as specimen. These are on strict request availability. Not easy to move around or dig just to not follow through. All 25 gal and larger require a 25% deposit upon selection and is non-refundable.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment