Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Spring Finally???!!!

 This year has been tricky, harsh yet not the worst by far. More recorders freezes in 2012/13 than this year of 2013/14. This year they simply had more of a chill that cut to the bone. The back to back nights of sub freezing did take a toll on my tropical yet benefit my maples (especially the coral bark!) bringing a very strong flush at this point. 
  I love the four seasons that any of my Japanese maple brings about. Spring always has the flush of color that show the emince variation the different varieties hold, getting to see the new growth emerge and watch it through the season to watch it twist and turn as wishes and watch the colors settle in for summer. Its also, now, that I have taken my scion wood for grafting and sorted trees out for bonsai or landscape use which can really pull on ones heartstrings. I have several from last year that are still in the undecided group. Still transitioning from place to place, I am certain to will stumble upon more.
  I also take this time to break out my tools and go to work doing layering, cutting and then some. Pottery starts to crank up from run of the mill basic pottery (which is an excellent choice) to some more choice kilns and some hand made one offs. I break out the wire, both copper and aluminum, and ready my trees to shape. With 1mm through 8mm there isn't to much I can't bend and shape. I begin to mix my various soils for what needs a refreshing or bumping a size up or down. I like to compare this time of year to the equivalent of black Friday for me. It's a frenzy that sets in and just hope I can accomplish all I set out to do. I usually make it happen and then come winter, I often see growth shielded by the previous seasons foliage.... The cycle comes full circle!

   Be sure to check back as I will be posting photos, a list of selections from maples (all) to bonsai material and more! Really excited for of the selection of true dwarf boxwood I will be introducing! Finally they have reached a good age and mature stature as they grow so, so slow! Photos and info to follow shortly!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment