Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Getting back to life's calling. Dedicated to Mom!


A hole seemed to rip in my heart as of recent. My mother, who gave to me my first bonsai at 16, passed on. She is attributed as an inspiration throughout my life shaping me into much of who I am today. Letting me grow on my own when needed and assisting me when I was out of line so to speak (that “you’ll wish you had listened” rings so true..). Much of what I learned I will eventually leave myself to the hands of another. Shaping when necessary and left to grow its own way when needed. Never pushing it to one side or the other rather letting nature and nurture combine in harmony merely assisting in smoothing the rough edges.

   Her willingness to let both my brother and I both take the direction we chose. She emphasized that whatever we may do we do with a whole hearted commitment and giving it our all. He and I turned out  the polar opposite of each other. Day and night is putting it very lightly. As for Mom, she would not have had it any other way it seemed. We became who we are because of the support, moral cornerstone she provided and letting us pursue what we felt in our hearts we wanted and were devoted to and passionate about. He is the Wall Street type where I am the Main Street. He speed on his life’s highway where I blazed my trial off of the dirt road (literally at times).

   Growing up I can’t say I remember any friends that didn’t simply call her Mom. Everyone was family. She really had no knowledge of bonsai though provided me with the same attributes I applied to my own life as I did my work. A portrait, as is a Picasso, is art, it’s just what my senses and vision may dictate part of how my tree(s) ultimately grow. Following its natural movement and compliment with time, patients and a whole lot of blind faith. Some I like the natural untouched look and others as twisty and as contorted as possible. Some like the straight and true formal upright. Neither is wrong nor right. It’s how the tree inspires you to grow… It trains you as much as you do it.

  For those of you who follow this I greatly appreciate your interest and patience. I had a lot of calls recently and was unable to get back to some and other unfortunately, I didn’t. For that I greatly apologize. Come September 20th (Saturday) I will resume appointments and visits. I have been very excited to show off new materials both bonsai and Japanese maples. A huge selection of pottery and tools as well. I have had exponential growth and selection that rivals anything I have had since around 2004. With that said please feel free to call (leave a name and number if you get voicemail) or email me at redmaplenurserys@gmail.com The Fall promises to be a burst of color and diversity like no other! Thank you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment